Pure comfort. That’s what this soup is all about. Creamy, tasty, and just plain homey, it’s the perfect meal for a chilly winter evening or one of those blustery spring days when mother nature just isn’t quite ready to give in to warmer weather.
I love, too, that it’s a very budget-friendly meal, and it comes together quickly – ideal for those busy weeknights.
It’s a soup that makes everyone in your house happy, too. Just ladle it into bowls and bring it to a table set with assorted toppings so everyone can load up their very own bowl of Baked Potato Soup. Snipped chives, cheddar cheese, a pat of butter, bacon for my resident carnivore … yum.
- 5 cups diced potatoes (about five medium)
- 1½ cups diced onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper
- Assorted toppings such as cheddar cheese, butter, green onions, chives, and/or bacon
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the potatoes, onion, celery and water. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and keep it at a simmer. Simmer uncovered 20 – 30 minutes, until the potatoes mash easily.
- Carefully press a potato masher through the soup until most of the potatoes are broken up.
- Add the sour cream, milk, butter, salt, and black pepper. Return the soup to a simmer and cook for about five minutes. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, butter, green onions, chives, bacon, and any other favorite baked potato toppings.