Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
Fall gets fluffy! Moist pumpkin and warm autumn spices in a super-fluffy pumpkin pancake package. Done deal.
I just never know when a recipe is going to take off. It’s all one big fat guessing game. I had a feeling people would like this and it would do well (and so far, it has!). On the other hand, I was convinced these would do well, but nope.
And then there are the recipes that are a huge surprise. Fluffy Banana Pancakes are consistently one of the most-visited and most-made recipes on my site. I knew I loved them, but I didn’t realize they would be so popular. And, of course, I am happy they are!
As far as pancakes go, there’s a special place in breakfast heaven for the fluffy, hearty, thick kind. I decided I needed another fluffy pancake recipe in my life, so I thought I’d take the banana version and get ’em all fallified. (As in, seasonally appropriate for autumn. I like to make up words. It’s a curse.)
I already have a tried-and-true pumpkin pancake recipe, but I thought I’d try them this way. For this recipe, it’s all about the fluffy! I took the original recipe and swapped the banana for pumpkin, added a hefty dose of warming pumpkin spices, and increased the sugar – just a bit – to keep them from going over to savoryville. More made-up words. Sorry.
Free Easy Weeknight Dinners eBook
Subscribe to the Kitchen Treaty email list and receive new recipes or my weekly newsletter for free! Plus, as a welcome gift, you’ll receive my Top 10 Easy Weeknight Dinners eBook! So that’s kinda fun.
These pancakes cook up surprisingly tall, but they’re not crazy or anything. They’re just right – perfectly fluffy for fall.
Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
Super-fluffy, tall, yet moist pumpkin pancakes. Yes, you can have it all in a pumpkin pancake!
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 tablespoons vinegar + enough whole milk or 2% milk to equal 2 cups)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (here’s a handy dandy tutorial on making your own)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly + more for cooking, if desired
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice blend*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Butter and maple syrup for serving
- To a large bowl, add the buttermilk. If using the vinegar plus milk option, let sit for about 10 minutes to allow the milk to turn to buttermilk.
- Add the pumpkin, eggs, butter, and vanilla and stir with a whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet and mix just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Let batter rest for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick griddle to 325 degrees or set large frying pan over medium heat. Melt a little butter on the cooking surface, spreading it evenly, if desired (if the surface is non-stick, you may not need to do this). Using a 1/3 cup measure (or, my pancake scooping weapon of choice, a trigger-handled ice cream scoop), pour the batter onto the griddle or into the frying pan. The pancakes are ready to flip when they look a little dry around the edges and start to form little bubbles, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown and completely cooked through, 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Serve topped with butter and maple syrup, if desired.
* Or you can substitute the following if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice blend on hand:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Yield: About 12 5-inch pancakes, Serving Size: 3 (5-inch) pancakes
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 526 Calories
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 131mg
- Sodium: 627mg
- Carbohydrates: 82g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 26g
- Protein: 15g
Adapted from this Fluffy Banana Pancakes recipe// All images and text © for Kitchen Treaty.
More pancake recipes:
- Fluffy Banana Pancakes – Light and airy, yet hearty. One of the most popular recipes on Kitchen Treaty!
- Banana-Oat Blender Pancakes – Gluten-free, vegan, and SO EASY.
- Whole Wheat Vanilla Yogurt Pancakes – Something a little different – and super hearty to boot.
- Chocolate Chip Chia Pancakes – Healthy pancakes with a bit of irresistible decadence. I make these ALL. THE. TIME.
- Classic Swedish Pancakes – So fun to make with the little ones.
- Browse all pancake recipes on Kitchen Treaty
Products Featured in this Recipe:
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a portion of the proceeds. More about this here.