Roasted Beet Hummus
I fully admit that until a couple of years ago, beets were my nemesis food. Hated the suckers! But then, on a whim, I tried roasting them – and learned they’re bad. Not bad at all. In fact, they can be 100% incredible! Roasted beets are tender to the bite and taste absolutely delicious. They’re great straight out of the oven, or marinated, or – yep – made into hummus!
Plus, they’re pretty – especially when you blend a couple roasted beets in with a little basic hummus for this Roasted Beet Hummus. Vibrant, hot pink veggie/cracker dip? I’m in.
It’s so easy to make. You take a couple of beets, roast them until tender, then puree them with chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon – all that hummus-y good stuff. Super easy, super scarlet. Equally perfect with pitas or peas.
So basically, this tastes like your typical delicious garlicky hummus, but with a little bit of earthy beetiness. I promise, it’s good stuff.
Roasted Beet Hummus
Pretty and pink! Basic hummus goes scrumptious and scarlet with roasted beets whirred into the mix.
- 2 medium beets (about 1 pound total), greens removed and scrubbed clean
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) drained, but reserve the liquid
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste (I usually use about 1 teaspoon total)
- Olive oil for drizzling on top, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place each beet on a square of foil and wrap well. Set on a small baking sheet and bake until easily pierced with a fork, 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Using your hands, slip off the outer layer of beet, or use a carrot peeler. Cut into quarters and add to the pitcher of a blender along with the garbanzo beans, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Pulse until pureed, adding bean liquid as needed to get things moving, and puree until completely smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with olive oil if desired. Serve with pitas and/or veggies.