Mmm … soup. Loved, cherished, maybe even a little admired, and made very, very often around here once autumn comes around. It’s something that lends itself well to our mixed-diet kitchen: so many amazing soups start out already vegetarian, and so many more just need a little stock swap – a hearty, rich vegetable stock in place of chicken or beef broth. And then perhaps a little meat on top or simmered with half the batch for a few minutes at the end.
See all those links up there? Further proof I’m a soup fiend.
Today I’m sharing a riff on my creamy tomato soup: roasted red pepper & tomato.
Don’t be fooled by the short list of simple, easy ingredients. This soup tastes surprisingly complex. It’s got all the hallmarks of classic, comforting tomato soup – bright flavor, gorgeous crimson hue – along with the smoky addition of roasted red peppers. Perfection.
It pretty much begs for a sharp cheddar grilled cheese sandwich – but it’s plenty perfect on its own, too.
- 2 14-ounce cans whole or diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, roughly diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 8 ounces (1 cup) roasted red peppers
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the tomatoes, butter, and diced onion to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to break down and droplets of butter float free from the tomatoes. If using whole tomatoes, break them up with a spoon as they cook.
- Add the vegetable broth and garlic, then return to a simmer. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in roasted red peppers.
- Remove from heat. Let mixture cool to room temperature so that it’s safe to puree without danger of burning yourself.
- Puree ingredients in a blender, food processor, or right in the pan with an immersion blender. Return the mixture to the pan and return to a simmer over low heat.
- Stir in half-and-half and add salt and pepper to taste. Return to a simmer, then serve.
Adapted from my Creamy Tomato Soup recipe