I’ve gotta admit, I’ve always found the word “sliders” to be a little … gross. It just makes me think of grease upon grease which, of course, aids greatly in the action of unhinging one’s jaw to gulp an entire miniburger in one fell swoop.
But ignore what I’ve just said please, because these black bean sliders are not greasy nor gross (nor could you swallow one whole, for that matter, unless you’re a snake or a freak of nature).
They’re delicious, easy, meatless, and perfect for game day, sure. But definitely not gross.
So I guess what I’m trying to say is that I now consider myself a slider convert. I mean, for one, mini things like these are cute. And because they’re small, you can eat two! Or three, if you’re really hungry. Or four! I won’t judge.
So! Spicy Black Bean Sliders with Chipotle Mayonnaise. Kicky little black bean patties covered in melty pepper jack cheese, topped with a bit of red onion and sweet pickle, sandwiched between chipotle-mayo-slathered buns. Yup.
Mitts off, carnivores. These babies are for the vegetarians in the house.
Okay, fine. The meat-eaters can partake, too. After all, I fully believe in vegetarian recipes that carnivores will clamor for. And I do think these might just fit the bill.
However! If you think you might like to go all slider-crazy, how about making black bean sliders for the vegetarians, and then making a second batch with ground beef? Just throw different-colored picks into the carnivorous sliders and/or serve them up on a different platter, and voila. Everyone is sure to be happy.
Especially the vegetarians. Unhinge those jaws, friends! Let’s do this thing.
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg
- ½ small yellow onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 slider buns or dinner rolls, sliced in half
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, sliced thin
- 1 batch Chipotle Mayonnaise (recipe below)
- ½ red onion, sliced
- Sliced sweet pickles
- Place beans in a small bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add egg, bread crumbs, adobo sauce, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne (if using), salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Form into one-ounce patties – about 2 tablespoons per patty – by rolling mixture into a ball, packing together firmly, then flattening slightly.
- Add the olive oil to a large saute pan over medium heat. Working in batches so that the burgers aren’t too crowded, cook one one side until browned – about 5 minutes, then carefully flip and cook until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes total.
- Remove patties to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain and cool slightly.
- Put slider buns sliced-side up on a cookie sheet. Add black bean patties to the bottom halves of the buns and top with cheese. Place under oven broiler until cheese has melted and buns are golden brown, about one minute (depending on your broiler – just watch carefully!)
- Remove from oven and slather chipotle mayo on the inside of the bun tops. Top burgers with red onions and pickles, sandwich with the bun top, and secure with a toothpick or skewer. Serve immediately.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (seeds removed for a milder mayo; leave them in for more heat)
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from the can of chipotles)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (about ½ teaspoon)
- Pinch kosher salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.