So you’ve got quite a cast of characters coming to the table this Thanksgiving. Dad’s a staunch meat-and-potatoes carnivore – forget the f-word, for him,”tofu” is the true four-letter word. Auntie Ashley is a vegetarian – dairy and eggs are fine, but no meat, please. Uncle Roger is a lifelong vegan (and marathon runner, of course). No animal products whatsoever! And young Sammy was just diagnosed with celiac disease – absolutely no gluten for the little guy.
So what’s a host to do?! Whip up a fantastic and easy Thanksgiving dinner, that’s what!
I’ve posted several Thanksgiving recipes these past couple of weeks with the intent of rounding them up here, along with a few other classics from years past. Together, along with a few other incredible blogger recipes, they make up one terrific Turkey Day (or No-Turkey Day) feast for all. It’s doable – promise!
Here’s what’s on the table:
Appetizers & sippers
A light selection of drinks and snacks with something for every diet.
- Crock Pot Hot Spiced Cider
- Classic Red Sangria
- A selection of olives & nuts
- Hummus with pitas or pita chips and veggies
The main feast
- Turkey – I don’t have any turkey recipes here on Kitchen Treaty, but these look fantastic:
- Best-Ever Mashed Potatoes
- Vegetarian Onion Gravy (or Caramelized Onion Gravy from Oh My Veggies)
- Herbed Wild Rice & Quinoa Stuffing
- Sauteed Green Beans with Smoky Shallots
- Apple Cider Glazed Sweet Potatoes from Oh My Veggies
- Store-bought dinner rolls (made without dairy or eggs)
- Orange Maple Cranberry Sauce
- Vanilla Praline Pumpkin Pie
- Vegan Gingerbread Pear Bundt Cake with Caramel Sauce from Oh My Veggies
- Gluten-Free Cranberry Lemon Tart from Cafe Johnsonia
- Store-bought vanilla ice cream
So who eats what?! Here goes!
Note: I realize I’m over-generalizing here, and that everyone has individual tastes. The generalizations are not meant to be jerky or ignorant, they’re just here to show that one meal really can appeal to – and work for – most everyone!
turkey | mashed potatoes & gravy | green beans | cranberry sauce | dinner roll | pumpkin pie a’la mode
Nothing but the classics for this guy (or gal). And that’s cool. Hopefully he or she will be a little open-minded because the stuffing, gravy, and beans are a bit non-traditional, but not over-the-top weird.
turkey | mashed potatoes & gravy | herbed wild rice & quinoa stuffing | green beans | cider-glazed sweet potatoes | cranberry sauce | dinner roll | a little of each dessert
Hopefully the Adventurous Carnivore came hungry, because he or she can eat everything at the table!
herbed wild rice & quinoa stuffing | cranberry sauce | cider-glazed sweet potatoes | mashed potatoes & gravy | green beans | dinner roll | a little of each dessert
No turkey for the resident vegetarian, of course, but everything else is fair game.
herbed wild rice & quinoa stuffing | cider-glazed sweet potatoes | green beans | dinner roll | cranberry sauce | vegan gingerbread pear bundt cake
It can be tough being a vegan at Thanksgiving – but not with this spread. The hearty quinoa stuffing doubles as the perfect main for the vegans in the house.
turkey | mashed potatoes sans gravy | green beans | cranberry sauce | herbed wild rice & quinoa stuffing | cider-glazed sweet potatoes | gluten-free cranberry tart
The gluten-free diner needs to stay away from the dinner rolls, the gravy, and some of the desserts, but otherwise, the feast is on! Another dessert option for gluten-free guests is a scoop of ice cream with caramel sauce.
I know it’s easy to feel put off by family and friends with dietary preferences (or necessities), especially if it gets in the way of traditional dishes – and it can feel like more work for the host, depending on how willing the host is to allow others to bring dishes. But here’s the thing: if a little variation, creativity, and compromise helps everyone feel welcome at the table, what a wonderful way to show our thanks for our beloved friends and family. And isn’t that what Thanksgiving is all about?!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes & Menu Ideas
Looking for more?
- All Thanksgiving recipes
- 100+ Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes – one big round-up of every kind of vegetarian holiday option
- 30 Main Vegetarian Dishes for Thanksgiving & Christmas
- 15 Vegetarian Thanksgiving Side Dishes with Wide Appeal
- 19 Vegan Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- 12 Vegetarian Gravy Recipes
- 5 Make-Ahead Thanksgiving Dishes for Freezing
- An Easy Vegan Thanksgiving Menu (+ a Super Simple Centerpiece Idea)
- Thanksgiving for Special Diets: The Ultimate Guide to Coexisting Deliciously
- And for Christmas, here’s our Christmas dinner menu that I shared few years ago.