Vegetarian and vegan gravy recipes are actually kind of hard to come by. I’m not sure why that surprises me, I guess because meatless gravy is my norm. Plus, the right gravy recipe can be a perfect “diet-neutral” recipe to add to the table – seriously delicious for carnivores too. From super-simple recipes like 4-ingredient Vegetarian Onion Gravy to the more complex (read on), there’s a gravy for everyone at the holiday table. For real!
Bonus: Most of these recipes are vegan, too (or give a vegan option) – and several can be made gluten-free as well!
- Vegetarian Onion Gravy (with vegan option) from yours truly – I make this every year! Recently, I updated the recipe with a vegan option, and I’ve started adding a little Tamari to the mix. Yum!
- Caramelized Onion Gravy from Oh My Veggies – Onions, caramelized to sweet perfection and then pureed, add intense flavor to this golden-brown version. (When testing this recipe last year, I actually made this one ahead of time and froze it. It reheated perfectly!)
- Beer & Sweet Onion Vegan Gravy from May I Have That Recipe – Herbs de Provence and BEER?! I’m in!
- Vegan Gravy (gluten-free) from Oh She Glows – This recipe makes use of some interesting ingredients, like nutritional yeast and – yep – blackstrap molasses.
- Vegan Gravy from Jamie Oliver – this one starts with onions, carrots, and celery, and is finished with splash of red wine vinegar.
- Vegetarian Gravy (vegan) from Rebekah Denn/The Seattle Times – Another that makes use of nutritional yeast. Loving the garlic, too!
- Vegan Sage Gravy from Happy Herbivore – Loving the combo of broth AND non-dairy milk here for a creamy gravy that’s finished off with a savory dash of liquid smoke.
- Best Vegetarian Gravy (vegan option) from Umami Girl – With three different sources of umami flavor (including marmite!) this one has been deemed “the best” by many.
- Savory Mushroom Gravy from Isa Chandra Moskowitz – Herbs, garlic, and a splash of dry white wine jazz up this mushroom gravy.
- Vegan Mushroom Gravy (gluten-free option) from FatFree Vegan Kitchen – Thick, rich, and fat free!
- Everybody’s Mushroom Gravy (vegan and gluten-free) from The Spendid Table – One luxurious gravy for all! LOVE.
- Amazing Vegan Gravy from The Muffin Myth – Oh-so pourable!
That’s it! No go forth and gravy-fy!