It’s quiet, relaxed, and lazy in our home right now. The mayhem of Christmas is behind us, but birthdays and New Year’s are just around the corner … which means things are going to be crazy again before we know it. So for these next couple of days, I’m going to dig my fuzzy-slippered heels in and keep my flannel PJ pants on as long as I possibly can. And just, you know, lounge. Aaaah.
Lazy afternoons and evenings are the perfect time for hot chocolate, but not just any hot chocolate. Boozy hot chocolate.
Rich, dark hot cocoa made with good dark chocolate, honey, vanilla, and a cinnamon stick for good measure, and livened up with a nice dose of dark amber rum. Preferably sipped next to a roaring fire.
The best thing about this glorious boozy hot chocolate is that it’s as perfect for uber-relaxed days as it is for a lively New Year’s Eve party. Just imagine watching the fireworks from your rooftop garden with a steaming mug of perfectly spiked hot chocolate cupped in your hands.
I would like a rooftop garden with a view of the fireworks. Or a friend with a rooftop garden with a view of the fireworks.
Oh hey. Do you happen to have a rooftop garden with a view of the fireworks, and if so, can I finagle an invitation to your party?!
I’ll totally bring the hot chocolate.
Boozy Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups milk
- 3 and 1/2 ounces good-quality dark chocolate (broken into pieces (I use Lindt 85% dark chocolate))
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 3- inch cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 ounces dark rum (4 - 6 tablespoons, to taste)
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the milk, chocolate, honey, and cinnamon stick.
- Stir occasionally with a whisk or wooden spoon until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is steaming hot.
- Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon stick and stir in the vanilla and rum.
- Serve immediately.