Sometimes it takes me way too long to jump on a bandwagon. Aquafaba, for instance? I just can’t go there. But in a couple of years, I’ll probably be wondering what too me so long.
And then there are smoothie bowls. They … well, they basically skeeved me out. Why in the heckin’ heck would you eat your smoothie with a spoon? That’s what straws are for! Then I kept hearing about acai bowls and right around that time I was searching for new breakfast ideas. So I gave an acai bowl a try and … holy wow. SMOOTHIE BOWLS ARE LIKE ICE CREAM FOR BREAKFAST!
All-caps-worthy epiphany! Which is to say, I am without a doubt a smoothie bowl convert. So freakin’ good.
Basically, the point isn’t to eat your smoothie with a spoon instead of just drinking it with a straw. The point is to dress that bad boy up with tons of delicious and nutritious toppings. And then eat it with a spoon, because it is totally the way to be.
This version, the Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl, is my favorite – and even the more mainstream eaters in my house are down with it, too.
You know chocolate peanut butter ice cream? A.K.A: Elixir of the Gods? That’s what the base of this tastes like. Except thinner.
I add ice to this one because I feel like it needs some volume, plus, the colder the better in my book.
And then you just top it with all kinds of goodies. I like coconut, pepitas, chia seeds, sliced banana, peanuts, and maybe a little sprinkle of chocolate chips if I really feel like going for it.
This smoothie bowl is the best heatwave breakfast ever. Ever ever. With all those toppings, it sticks to your ribs. And it’s pretty darn healthy overall. But it seriously is like eating ice cream for breakfast.
Hello, bandwagon. I’m glad to be here.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 1/4 cup almond milk or canned lite coconut milk *
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup ice cubes
- Banana slices
- Shredded coconut
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Mini chocolate chips or shaved dark chocolate
- Place the banana, almond milk or coconut milk, peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder in a blender. Puree until smooth. Add ice and puree again until smooth. Pour into a bowl and sprinkle on toppings of your choice. Eat immediately.