Creamy Avocado Kale Pesto Pasta with Pine Nuts
Quick, put down the green food coloring! With all the amazing naturally green foodstuffs out there, there’s no need for that stuff, nuh uh.
Case in point:
This Creamy Avocado Kale Pasta is about as green as green can get.
This stuff and a tossed salad and you’ve got a gloriously green dinner for Saint Patrick’s Day. Bonus: It’ll be on the table in 20 minutes. No joke!
Have you heard of avocado pasta? Basically, you puree avocado with a few other tasty morsels and bam! The most luxuriously creamy pasta sauce. It’s brilliant and I wish I’d been the first to think of it, but I wasn’t (from what I can tell, it was Angela from Oh She Glows, which makes perfect sense because she’s always one to come up with such innovative recipes.)
This creamy avocado kale pasta is a riff on that one. I removed a couple of ingredients (basil and olive oil) and added to it (lots of kale and a smattering of pine nuts).
The result is an utterly emerald pasta dish that I definitely do not reserve just for St. Patrick’s Day. It’s an all-the-time thing around here.
(Oh, and bonus: This recipe is totally a sneaky way to usher kale into kale-haters’ diets without them even knowing. If, you know, you are into that sort of thing. 😉 )
Creamy Avocado Kale Pasta
Only 20 minutes and a short list of ingredients and you have an entirely plant-based, utterly creamy, vibrantly green, and absolutely delicious pasta on your hands. And in your mouth.
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti (or another favorite pasta; we also like this with penne)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, divided
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 2 cups kale leaves (ribs removed and torn into medium pieces)
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. RESERVE 1 CUP OF THE WATER YOU COOKED THE PASTA IN.
- While the pasta cooks, toast the pine nuts. Place in a skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the toasted pine nuts to a pitcher of a high-powered blender along with the avocado, kale, garlic, lemon juice, crushed red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Puree until completely smooth, adding more water, about 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed to keep it moving.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to your serving bowl. Pour the avocado-kale sauce over the top. Toss to combine. Top with remaining pine nuts. Serve immediately.
We have found that this recipe does NOT keep well – so be sure to eat it all when you make it! I know – tough job, but somebody has to do it.
Top carnivores’ portions with a few slices of grilled chicken breast.
Swap in your favorite gluten-free pasta. I love brown rice pasta.
Adapted from Oh She Glows// All images and text © for Kitchen Treaty.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a portion of the proceeds. More about this here.