We’ve all been talking a lot about pantry meals lately, but what about pantry snacks like trail mix?!
Sweet and salty Dark Chocolate Cherry Trail Mix is my favorite snack of all. Just a handful or two is super satisfying – with the protein and fat in the nuts, it quells those hunger pangs. The cherries provide a nice tart sweetness and the dark chocolate chips a decadent touch. Salted almonds give you that glorious sweet/salty situation.
Basically, this crave-able homemade trail mix recipe is one that hits all the notes. So, I thought I’d share! (Plus, it can be made entirely from pantry ingredients too!)
Is Trail Mix Healthy?
“Healthy” is relative! These days, I view “healthy” through the lens of nutrients – how many nutrients are in a food? Trail mix is nutrient dense, and to me, that means it’s healthy. But it’s also dense in calories and fats, so if you’re watching either of those, you may want to keep this in mind. Fortunately, even a small amount of this trail mix is extremely satisfying – and a little goes a long way.
For this Dark Chocolate Cherry Trail Mix, we have almonds, cashews, dried cherries, and dark chocolate – all of which are wonderfully nutrient dense foods.
- Almonds are rich in protein, magnesium, vitamin E, and fiber. (source)
- Cashews have protein, heart-healthy fatty acids, and antioxidants. (source)
- Dried cherries contain potassium, vitamin C, B complex, and antioxidants. (source)
- Dark chocolate is rich in flavanols, iron, copper, magnesium, and zinc. (source)
To make Dark Chocolate Cherry Trail Mix, just dump the four ingredients into a large bowl and mix together. This homemade trail mix recipe makes just enough to fit into a 32-ounce mason jar, with about a handful left over for an immediate snack. The perfect amount!
If you try this recipe, please leave a rating! And, if you find it share-worthy – which I hope you do – please share. Tag #kitchentreaty on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, and don’t forget to check out my other recipes!
Dark Chocolate Cherry Trail Mix
- 1 1/2 cups roasted salted almonds
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 (5-ounce) package dried cherries (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Pour all ingredients into a medium bowl and stir together to mix. Store at room temperature in a sealed 32-ounce mason jar and enjoy whenever you need a quick and satisfying snack!
So helpful. Such nutrient dense recipes need to be more research.
I have made this recipe several times and it is always a hit! Thanks.