Fluffy Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes
Hellooo weekend! I think pumpkin pancakes are just about the perfect weekend breakfast. Standing in front of the stove in my flannel PJs and cozy slippers flipping pancakes, sipping coffee, and inhaling the warm autumn spices wafting about the kitchen … heaven!
These Fluffy Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes are happening again tomorrow, and probably Sunday too. I think I actually like them better than their inspiration recipe, a fluffy pumpkin pancake recipe that contains eggs and is delicious in and of itself – but, of course, not vegan. And sometimes we don’t have eggs and sometimes I have readers that don’t eat eggs and thus I have created a vegan riff on fluffy pumpkin pancakes and by the way I LOVE THESE THINGS. The end. Okay, not really. I’m too rambly to be done quite yet.
The key here is 1) Baking powder and baking soda along with 2) Buttermilk (well, a vegan substitute for buttermilk, almond milk + vinegar). The reaction creates a nice bubbly batter that cooks up nice and tall and fluffy.
Pumpkin and pumpkin spices – cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves – lend loads of flavor to these tall, fluffy, and tender vegan pumpkin pancakes. Truthfully, you can’t tell the difference between these and plain ol’ dairy-and-egg-filled pumpkin pancakes. My carnivorous husband is all about these pancakes, vegan or not. He just loves them. Me too.
Shall I just get to the recipe already?
Happy weekend, Pumpkin!
Fluffy Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes
Tall, fluffy, and tender. These vegan pancakes are loaded with pumpkin, spice, and everything nice. Arguably even better than traditional pumpkin pancakes – try them and see!
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 scant cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (here’s a handy dandy tutorial on making your own)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice blend*
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- Butter and maple syrup for serving
- To a medium bowl, add the flaxseed and water. Mix to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes to gel up.
- To a 2-cup or larger measuring cup, add the vinegar. Fill with almond milk to the 2-cup mark. Set aside for a couple of minutes to curdle a bit and form a buttermilk.
- If your coconut oil isn’t yet melted, you might want to set it in a small saucepan over low heat to melt while you prepare your dry ingredients.
- To a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- To the medium bowl with the flaxseed mix, add the almond milk mix, melted coconut oil, pumpkin, brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk just until incorporated. Don’t overmix – that can develop the gluten in the flour and lead to tough pancakes!
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes. They’ll start to puff up and that’ll give you fluffier pancakes! While the batter rests, preheat your non-stick griddle or a large frying pan over medium heat (or, if it’s an electric griddle, set to 325 degrees Fahrenheit).
- If desired, melt a little vegan butter on the cooking surface (I like Earth Balance). If your surface is non-stick, this probably isn’t necessary. Using a 1/3 cup measure (or, my pancake scooping weapon of choice, a trigger-handled ice cream scoop), pour the batter onto the griddle or into the frying pan. The pancakes are ready to flip when they look a little dry around the edges and start to form little bubbles, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until golden and completely cooked through, about another 90 seconds or so. I like to give these vegan pancakes a bit of extra time on the grill vs. traditional pancakes. They like to be nice and golden before being flipped, or else the inside might not cook through quite enough.
- Serve immediately topped with vegan butter and maple syrup, if desired.
* Substitute the following if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice blend on hand:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Adapted from my Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes recipe// All images and text © for Kitchen Treaty.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a portion of the proceeds. More about this here.