Melty, savory halloumi with juicy, sweet tomatoes on top … that’s Halloumi Bruschetta. This has to be one of the best appetizers around – when you’re looking for starters with halloumi, go for this one. You won’t regret it.
I showed you how to grill halloumi, now how about this delicious idea for serving it? Forget bread – this recipe makes use of grilled halloumi slices topped with a juicy tomato salad for an incredible new spin on bruschetta. This is the halloumi starter of your dreams.
Using halloumi in bruschetta, you get an added dimension to the classic appetizer you normally otherwise wouldn’t – saltiness. Replacing the bread with a slice of salty grilled cheese really brings out the freshness of the summer tomatoes and basil.
I’m honestly not sure I ever want to go back to bread!
Grilled Halloumi Bruschetta
- 9 ounces halloumi cheese slices (grilled (here’s how to grill halloumi cheese))
- 2 large vine ripe tomatoes (diced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tabespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange the grilled halloumi slices on a platter or serving dish
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and mix together.
- Top each slice of halloumi with the tomato mixture and serve.
- To make ahead, you can assemble the tomato mix and refrigerate it in an airtight container. Then just grill the cheese, top with the tomatoes, and serve.
This recipe was written and photographed by Gina of Running to the Kitchen as a special contributor to Kitchen Treaty.