I’m really not sure if I should call these margherita quinoa frittatas or caprese quinoa frittatas. Either way it’s not the easiest to say. I probably should just call them cherry tomato, basil, and mozzarella frittatas.
Or maybe I’ll just call them delicious. And easy. And perfect to freeze for quick, healthy, filling future breakfasts.
But if you know the scoop on the difference between margherita and caprese, I would be forever indebted to you if you could enlighten me.
Meanwhile, though. Frittatas. Mini frittatas, made in muffin tins. Some of the easiest (and most addicting) frittatas I’ve ever made. Perfect for summer with its fresh basil – and, of course, the cherry tomato on top – but I’ll be making these (or a variation of them) during all four seasons for probably the rest of my life.
With the one-two punch of protein thanks to both eggs and quinoa, these little guys are really filling. One makes a great snack or light breakfast, two keeps me satiated for hours.
Thanks to a good bit of cooked quinoa mixed right in, they have a bit of a fluffy consistency. And compliments of the cheese, there’s a bit of an ooey-gooey meltiness going on. The basil adds a bit of freshness and the cherry tomato not only makes me smile, but it also kind of reminds me of the middle of the cinnamon roll. The best part is in the center – and I like to save it for last.
I highly recommend using both paper liners AND non-stick spray or an oil mister, otherwise you could be spending days scrubbing egg off your muffin tin.
If you freeze them (and I highly recommend them for freezing!), just place them in a single layer in a gallon size zip bag and plop them in the freezer. Then pull one or two out at a time, microwave for about a minute and a half on high, and, voila! Instant awesome breakfast.
Make it a meal
For an extra super-charged super-healthy breakfast, add this Raspberry Banana Chia Smoothie (Oh My Veggies) or a stunning Tropical Green Smoothie (Averie Cooks) :: Or put that muffin pan back to work and make some Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins or Hearty Spiced Carrot Muffins. :: And if you feel the need for a good jolt of caffeine (and who doesn’t?), how about some vanilla iced coffee?
Mini Margherita Quinoa Frittatas (with Cherry Tomatoes, Fresh Basil, and Mozzarella)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa*
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (minced)
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup, standard-size muffin tin with liners and grease well with non-stick cooking spray or an oil mister.
- In a large bowl, mix together the quinoa, eggs, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, basil, onion, salt, and pepper until all ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Divide mixture equally between muffin tins (I use an ice cream scoop).
- Sprinkle each with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Push a cherry tomato about halfway into the top of each.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until egg is set and frittatas are golden around the edges.