Muffins have really become a “thing” for my daughter and I. Probably every other morning, we’re in the kitchen whipping up one kind or another. For a two-year-old, my little one already has a surprisingly impressive grasp on the process. She can identify vanilla and baking powder by name, she knows the difference between all-purpose flour and whole wheat, she talks about how the wet ingredients go into the dry, and she’s even begun to crack eggs.
She’s definitely proven to be more on the picky-eater side, so sometimes baking things together makes her a little more likely to sample the outcome, which is a huge win. What makes her much, much more likely to eat the muffins we bake? For better or worse: chocolate chips.
So my challenge as a mama is to pack as much healthy good stuff into those muffins as I can. But then I sweeten the pot by adding a smattering of mini chocolate chips.
For us, these peanut butter banana chocolate chip mini muffins strike the right balance between wholesome and alluring. Proof positive: grabby toddler hand photo bomb!
Whole wheat flour and peanut butter lend heartiness to these cute little bite-size guys, and the banana sweetens them so effectively that the entire recipe only calls for 1/4 cup of added brown sugar.
Peanut butter and chocolate and banana. What could be better?!
More Banana Muffin Recipes
- Super Moist Vegan Banana Bread Muffins
- Dairy-Free Banana Muffins with Brown Sugar Ripple
- Vegan Tropical Muffins with Crunchy Coconut Streusel
- Spiced Banana Streusel Muffins
- Peanut Butter Quinoa Mini Muffins
- Honey Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Marble Muffins
Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas or 3 small)
- 1/3 cup milk or canned coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the cups of a 24-count mini muffin tin with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the butter to a medium microwave-safe bowl and cook in the microwave on 50% power for 20-30 seconds at a time, just until melted. Add the peanut butter and stir to combine. Add the bananas. Mash the bananas into the peanut butter and melted butter until combined. Stir in the milk, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture between muffin tins – about 1 1/2 tablespoons batter each. I use a cookie scoop – best invention ever!
- Bake until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed, 8 – 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in tins for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-4 days. These muffins freeze well, too!