Everyone needs a good peanut sauce recipe, and this, my friends, is a GOOOOD one. It’s super easy, with not too many ingredients, and it’s the best homemade peanut sauce recipe I’ve tried. Win all around!
Over the past few months, we’ve found that sauce recipes like this really help us keep our menus flexible. So if the grocery store is out of one thing, no worries! We can still make a delicious dinner happen.
Peanut sauce goes with so much – it’s excellent with tofu satay skewers, chicken skewers for my guy, broccoli, rice, soba noodles … plus it’s the most delicious dip. Summer rolls, veggies, artichokes … sky’s the limit with this peanut sauce.
How to Make Peanut Sauce
Our very favorite peanut sauce recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- Peanut butter, of course! Creamy – and I like the less-natural, more processed stuff for the smoothest sauce. Talking Jif and friends here.
- Coconut milk. Full-fat, please! It gives this sauce its thick, just, unctuousness. Spell check agrees that “unctuousness” is a word, so I’m going with it.
- Garlic. Because of course!
- Soy sauce or Tamari. Umami baby!
- Curry powder. Yep. Traditional this is not. Tasty it is.
- Brown sugar. That touch of sweet really helps round out all of the flavors.
A couple of notable things this vegan peanut sauce is missing in its ingredient list? No ginger, for one. And no acid like rice wine vinegar or lime juice. I honestly thought it would be better with both, but ginger didn’t add enough to make the cut, and when I tried this with the acid and without, I liked it just as well either way. So why not just cut it and keep it simple?! Sooooo I did.
To make it, simply warm the peanut butter, coconut milk, the garlic, and some water over low heat until melty and combined. Then stir in the remaining ingredients, juuuuust let it simmer, and done. Seriously so easy.
Then, just drizzle away on anything and everything.
Yessss, my friends. This peanut sauce is everything.
I love to keep a big batch of this homemade peanut sauce in the fridge for super quick and easy dinners. Lately, I’ve been roasting tofu for me and warming pre-cooked chicken satay skewers from Costco for my guy. Throw in a scoop of rice and some steamed broccoli and it makes for the easiest dinner. And it is SO GOOD. (Did I mention that already?)
If you try this recipe, please leave a rating! And, if you find it share-worthy – which I hope you do – please share. Tag #kitchentreaty on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, and don’t forget to check out my other recipes!
Our Very Favorite Homemade Peanut Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or Tamari*
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- A pinch or two of kosher salt (to taste - optional)
- Set a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the peanut butter, coconut milk, garlic, and water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the peanut butter has melted and the ingredients meld when stirred with a whisk. Be sure to keep just below a simmer - don't let the sauce boil.
- Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, and curry powder. Stir to combine. Let simmer - just barely! - and then remove from heat.
- Taste and add a pinch or two of salt if you wish. Serve as desired.