Sheet Pan Tofu & Veggie Dinner
You know how, at the slightest crinkle of a cheese wrapper, dogs will come running to the kitchen? Somewhere along the way, ours started doing the same thing whenever I plop a head of cauliflower onto the cutting board. They get as excited about the prospect of an errant floret as they do a hunk of cheese – maybe more so. So I’m always sure to reserve some for them. They carry their cauli proudly to the living room and gnaw away like they would a big bone. Goofy dogs.
So the pooches are officially fans of this Sheet Pan Tofu & Veggie Dinner recipe. At least, the preparation part.
I’m a huge fan of that part too. It’s so easy! Throw the oven on preheat, start pressing the tofu, and get to chopping veggies. Just a few minutes later, you’re ready to put that sheet pan full of goodness into the oven.
About 30 minutes after that, dinner is served!
This is a super simple, straightforward recipe. Just veggies, tofu, olive oil, salt, and pepper. You could add a few more spices if you like, or even marinate your tofu if you’re so inclined. I’ve tried it both ways, but I didn’t like those any better than the straight-up simplified version, so I figured, may as well keep it simple.
If you really want to dress it up after it’s done, a squeeze of lemon is nice, as is a little drizzle of vinaigrette or a creamy dressing or sauce for dipping. Get creative and make it your own! However you like it best, I guarantee you’ll be sold on this method of making dinner. One bowl for tossing, one sheet pan for cooking, one fork for eating. I mean, you probably want a dinner plate too, unless you want to eat right off the pan. Hey, I won’t judge.
As soon as I spotted this sheet pan dinner on Lexi’s Clean Kitchen, I knew I had to recreate it with tofu. Baked tofu is so great, after all, and goodness knows oven-roasted veggies are the bomb. So I have been making the tofu version – a lot – until this simple favorite emerged. I hope you love this easy, healthy dinner as much as we do!
Sheet Pan Tofu & Veggie Dinner
This super-simple vegan dinner recipe bakes up on a single sheet pan. Roasted veggies, protein-rich tofu, and – maybe best of all – most of the recipe time is completely hands-off.
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small red onion, quartered and cut into wedges
- 1 small bunch asparagus (about 1/2 pound), trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2-3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + more to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Press your tofu. Line the bottom of a dinner plate with several paper towels and place the hunk of tofu on it. Top with a few more paper towels and set three or four more dinner plates on top. Take care to make sure the plates don’t fall over as the moisture is pressed out of the tofu!
- While the tofu sits, cut your veggies, setting aside the asparagus. Place all veggies (except the asparagus!) into a large bowl. You’ll add the asparagus to the pan halfway through cooking time, otherwise, it can overcook.
- Cut the tofu into squares or rectangles. I like approx. 2-inch by 1/2-inch pieces. Add the tofu to the bowl with the veggies.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss gently until all of the veggies and tofu have a thin coat of olive oil. If it seems like it needs more oil, add the additional tablespoon.
- Spread the veggies and tofu in the sheet pan in a single layer. Make sure they’re not too crowded. If one pan doesn’t provide enough room, you may need to divide the mixture between two sheet pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently flip over the veggies and tofu. Place the asparagus in the bowl and drizzle with 1-2 more teaspoons olive oil. Add a pinch of kosher salt and toss until coated. Pour the asparagus onto the pan with the tofu and veggies, tucking it into the empty areas so you maintain a single layer as well as you can.
- Bake until the veggies are tender and browned in spots and the tofu is a light golden brown, about 15 more minutes.
- Remove from oven. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve.
Inspired by Lexi’s Clean Kitchen// All images and text © for Kitchen Treaty.