We are knee deep in strawberry season! Let us raise our hands and rejoice loudly. Or we could be reasonable adults and just eat them in peace while not bothering our neighbors with our strawberry love excitement.
This Strawberry Caprese Salad is a simple summer salad based on the Italian classic, but with a little fruity twist. It’s still got all the ingredients you know and love: salty mozzarella, sweet tomatoes, and heady basil, but with the addition of another element of sweet: strawberries!
Juicy strawberries make this caprese salad even more summery – it’s possible!
If you cannot find those cute little mozzarella balls seen in the photo, it’s okay – just buy a large fresh mozzarella ball and cut it up. It doesn’t really matter what shape the mozzarella is in because it tastes the same any way you slice it! (See what I did there?)
It should also be noted that this salad really does taste the best the day it’s made. The strawberries and tomatoes can get a bit watery if you let them sit for too long. I like to cut up my strawberries and tomatoes a few hours beforehand and keep them stored separately. That way when it’s time to eat I can throw everything together in a big bowl, give it a toss and BOOM side dish done! I have also been known to eat this whole salad for dinner so don’t worry if you get the same craving. It’s totally reasonable!
Strawberry Caprese Salad
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes (about 2 dry pints)
- 2 cups quartered strawberries (about 1 pint)
- 4 ounces about 1 cup small fresh mozzarella balls
- 1/3 cup sliced or torn fresh basil
- 1/4 cup good olive oil + a little more if desired
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar + a little more if desired
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, strawberries, mozzarella, and basil. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Pour over the salad and stir to coat. (You can add more olive oil and vinegar if desired but this depends on your love of dressing.)
- Season with desired amount of kosher salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.