I had a different recipe planned for today, but it was going to involve some work this weekend … and an evil little stomach bug had different plans for me. But you don’t want to know anything more about that.
I was actually going to save this Thai Green Curry Lentil Soup for March. Even though it’s not really all that green, with its green lentils and green curry, I thought it would still be perfect for the holiday that’s all about green – St. Patrick’s Day. But I’ve been eager to share it with you for awhile now, so this ended up being a great excuse.
This is one of those recipes that came together based on what I happened to have in my cupboards, and it quickly became a favorite.
This simple little soup is perfect for a cold winter’s day. It goes from pantry to table in just about 30 minutes, it’s relatively healthy, and with its lentils and coconut milk, you can check “creamy” and “hearty” off the list, too.
It’s got a good hefty dose of Thai green curry paste, which is milder/less spicy than its red curry cousin. But it still adds wonderful complex flavor and just the right teeny-tiny touch of heat to the mix.
I like this soup with French green lentils, which hold their shape after cooking. But it would also be great with regular green lentils – just a little less structure and thicker. All good, though!
This soup freezes and reheats nicely, too. I like to make half for a quick lunch, then freeze the rest for an easy weeknight dinner down the road.
Oh, and it’s vegan, too!
Have I sung its praises enough yet? I guess you could say I’m glad I shared it now. Although I would have rather shared it without having to get sick, but … you know. It all worked out.
Thai Green Curry Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced (about 2 cups))
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced (about 2 teaspoons))
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup French green lentils (rinsed and sorted (any debris or bad lentils discarded))
- 1/4 cup Thai green curry paste*
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent and beginning to brown, 7 - 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, lentils, curry paste, ginger, coriander, and salt. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until the soup comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 25 - 30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Add coconut milk and return to a simmer, stirring frequently. Stir in cilantro. Serve.