I’ve got a definite thing for smoothies lately, and a definite definite thing for coconut smoothies. I mean, coconut is good in just about anything, but when I add it to a smoothie in any form – milk, water, flakes, toasted flakes – I feel like I’m drinking a milkshake.
A smoothie that’s pretty healthy overall, but still feels indulgent? Win. And I’ve got a definite definite DEFINITE thing for this Toasted Coconut Coffee Smoothie.
I guess I can definitely stop saying “definite” now.
So this smoothie is essentially a toasted coconut smoothie, but with frozen coffee ice cubes added to the mix. The first one was unleaded. This one: leaded. All the way.
With toasted coconut and coconut milk, there’s a ton of rich, creamy coconut going on in this thing. What else have we got? Not much – simplicity is a good thing. A frozen banana for creaminess and potassium. Some ground flaxseed thrown in there – it totally looks like more coconut, so you can trick yourself into imbibing the good stuff. Vanilla extract for a bit of heady flavor, and coffee. Strong coffee, preferably, and frozen into cubes so that your smoothie stays ice cold.
What’s cooler than being cool? This Toasted Coconut Coffee Smoothie. What did you think I was going to say?!
Toasted Coconut Coffee Smoothie
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut plus a little more for garnish (if desired)
- 1 cup canned lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coffee (frozen into ice cubes)
- 1 large banana (frozen (slice the banana before freezing for easier blending later on))
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toast the coconut. Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and spread coconut on a cookie sheet. Place in oven and toast, stirring every couple of minutes, for 5 - 6 minutes, until fragrant and golden. Watch closely! Coconut can turn from perfectly toasty to burned in a matter of moments.
- Add 1/4 cup of the toasted coconut plus the remaining ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a glass, sprinkle with a little additional toasted coconut if desired, and serve with a straw.
You had me at toasted coconut….and coffee!! Love this smoothie…such a great way to start the day!
Thanks Kelli! 🙂
This looks like perfection in a cup! I like freezing coffee for an extra creamy smoothie add in 🙂
Coffee ice cubes could seriously solve all of life’s problems!
I’m on a huge smoothie kick at the moment too! I love the sound of this and am really excited by the frozen coffee ice cubes. I’ve done that before and it has totally changed my life!
It’s like the ultimate one-dish(cup) breakfast. You don’t even need a separate mug of coffee! 😉
Pingback: Toasted Coconut Coffee Smoothie | FoodOMG.com - search recipes by ingredients
I LOATHE bananas; any substitute?
Hi Kathy, you may want to add some yogurt; that would help give it the creamy texture that bananas impart. Although I’d also suggest adding some ice cubes to make it nice and cold.
Pingback: Toasted Coconut Smoothie "With toasted coconut and coconut milk,... - Beauty Tips Around The World | Beauty Tips Around The World
Pingback: Toasted Coconut Smoothie “With toasted coconut and coconut milk,… | Opinionated Beauty
Can anyone please tell me what the sugar intake is and the calories are.
So I made this yesterday and thought it was good, but needed some chocolate. So today, I tossed in a few dark chocolate chips. Delish! And I, too, am not a banana lover…so I’ve been using only 1/2 and it’s been just fine. I may try the yogurt trick though!
yes I was wanting to know about the calorie and total carb intake
Coconut. COffee. Win win! Thanks so much for the recipe!
Pingback: 27 Super Easy Coffee Shake Recipes You'll Want To Try At Home - Daily Cupo
Pingback: Breakfast Smoothies with a Buzz | BuzzTinker