I am a walking cliche. It’s a brand new year, I have vowed to eat healthier, cleaner, less overall, and just plain better this year. I’ve re-joined a gym, I’m ready to start up Couch to 5K (ahem, again), and, boy. Am I ever on a serious smoothie kick.
After enjoying smoothies that are every color of the rainbow (and loving every second of it), I think this pure white Toasted Coconut Smoothie is oh-so refreshing. Both in the looks department and in the taste department. Is there a taste department? If there was, I’d totally go there. Except then I might have a problem with my 2014 resolutions.
Anyway. This super-simple smoothie boasts only five ingredients, but the the coolest part about it is that it within all that toasted coconut smoothie goodness hides a full serving of heart-healthy flaxseeds. But you totally wouldn’t know, because it just looks like more toasted coconut.
Oh, and it also tastes like a creamy, coconutty milkshake, so there’s that, too.
I officially resolve to enjoy one another of these again, very soon.
Toasted Coconut Smoothie
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut plus a little more for garnish (if desired)
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 large banana (frozen (it's easier when you slice the banana before freezing))
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toast the coconut. Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and spread coconut on a cookie sheet. Place in oven and toast, stirring every couple of minutes, for 5 - 6 minutes, until fragrant and golden. Watch closely! Coconut can turn from perfectly toasty to burned in a matter of moments.
- Add 1/4 cup of the toasted coconut plus the remaining ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a glass, sprinkle with a little additional toasted coconut if desired, and serve with a straw.