Looking for a quick and easy lunch or dinner that feeds a crowd? But that crowd includes vegetarians or vegans? Look know further … mummy knows best!
Okay, so by now I’m sure you’ve seen this adorable mummy weiner wrap situation all over Pinterest, Instagram and the like. I mean, they’re fun, cute, and super easy.
And, I realized recently, they’re also perfect for vegetarians and carnivores dining together! Just use veggie dogs for some, and regular old hot dogs for the others. Everyone’s happy!
For the dough, I use straight-up, from-the-can, refrigerated Pillsbury crescent roll dough. The classic ones are already vegan and vegetarian, so, perfect! (Be sure and check the can before you buy to make sure, because there are a few different varieties).
Pop the can (I usually have my guy do this, because I hate how it startles me every time! Is it just me?!) and unroll the crescents. Then, just cut into strips – about 1/2-inch wide or so. And then wrap around your hot dog or veggie dog!
I like to be a bit strategic about how I wrap the top so there’s a spot for the eyes.
Then, just bake until golden brown! Yummy mummy!
Oh, and for the eyes, you can try a few things. Slices of pimento-stuffed green olives would be cute and easy. I’ve seen just simple dogs of mustard. Or you can even use candy eyeballs, though I would recommend eating them separately – not sure candy goes with hot dog. Or, in this case, I used little dollops of vegan cream cheese and black olive circles cut out by a metal straw. Voila! I see you too, mummy!
Serve ’em up with ketchup and a couple different types of mustards and Halloween dinner’s a wrap!
Quick & Easy Mummy Hot Dogs (Two Ways!)
For mummy dogs:
- 1 tube crescent roll dough (I use good ol' Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls; check your ingredients list if you need them to be vegan!)
- 4 hot dogs*
- 4 veggie dogs* (Field Roast frankfurters are my fave)
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- Black olives (cut into circles with a straw)
- Ketchup and assorted mustards for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (which will help with easy clean-up; important during busy Halloween time!)
- Open the crescent rolls dough and separate along the perforated lines into 8 triangles.
- Lay one piece of dough on a cutting board and, using a sharp knife, cut along the long side into 1/2-inch long strips.
- Wrap strips around hot dog, leaving a spot for the eyes along one end.
- Bake until the dough is golden and cooked through and the veggie dogs/hot dogs are warmed through, 15-20 minutes.
- Add eyes. I like to put the cream cheese in a small baggie and cut the corner off, then pipe the cream cheese on. Plop in an olive pupil (use a toothpick to position exactly right if you like) and they're ready!
- Serve with ketchup and mustard.