Pumpkin Spice Cashew Coffee Creamer
Photographing pumpkin stuff is hard. I’ve done the gratuitous background pumpkin, the pumpkin as an eating vessel, simply leaves for an overall fall vibe … really though, it’s tough to convey “pumpkin” without also being, you know … “dorky.” See above examples.
So for this pumpkin creamer recipe, I skipped the background pumpkin and, instead, I will use words.
As in: This cashew coffee creamer has pumpkin and spices in it, my friends, and it is glorious.
Have you tried cashew coffee creamer yet? It is my favorite homemade coffee creamer – so easy to make, so rich and creamy and subtly sweet and just perfect in a big dark cuppa joe.
This version takes your cashews and adds real pumpkin puree, pumpkin spices, some pure maple syrup and a generous pinch of salt (trust me).
Whip ’em up and you have the most glorious, creamy, incredible vegan pumpkin spice coffee creamer known to man. Or pumpkin-spice-loving woman, for that matter.
Probably my favorite thing about this creamer, other than the extreme fall thing going on here, is that when you pour it into your coffee, you get this incredible creamy foamy thing happening. Almost like a latte but without the work! I love to sprinkle it with a bit more pumpkin pie spice then sip away. Gah, I really love mornings these days.
I’m impatient, so I like to quick-soak my cashews. No need to wait overnight; just pour boiling water over the cashews and let them soak for 20-30 minutes. Voila, your cashews are soaked!
Then, just throw your soaked cashews into the blender along with the pumpkin, spices, pure maple syrup, and a bit of salt. The salt really heightens the flavor – don’t skip it! Then just puree until smooth and creamy.
I usually use the creamer as-is, but it can have a bit of sediment from the pumpkin and spices. It doesn’t bother me, but if you prefer a super-smooth creamer, just strain it through a nut milk bag (I like this one these days, and it’s great to have on hand for homemade almond milk too). The flavors are still excellent, and your creamer is extra super smooth. Done and done.
Pumpkin Spice Cashew Coffee Creamer
Rich and creamy vegan non-dairy pumpkin spice coffee creamer! It’s so simple – just cashews, pumpkin, spices, maple syrup, and water. Cozy up!
- Place cashews in a bowl. Cover with water and let soak overnight. Alternately, use the quick-soak method by boiling the water first. Soaking time will be reduced to 20-30 minutes.
- Strain and rinse cashews. Discard soaking water. Add soaked cashews to the pitcher of a blender (preferably high-speed like Vitamix). Add 1 1/2 cups water, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice mix, and salt. Puree until completely smooth, about 1 minute on high.
- Taste and add more pure maple syrup if desired. I don’t like super sweet coffee creamer, and I find that about 3 tablespoons total is my sweet spot. No pun intended.
- The following step is completely optional, but if you’d like an extra smooth creamer, you can strain it through a nut milk bag or a fine-mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth (the nut milk bag is much easier). But I usually skip this step.
- Use the creamer right away, or pour it into an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use. I stir about 2-3 tablespoons into each cup of coffee. Keeps for about 5 days. It may separate a bit in the fridge; simply give it a shake before using.
* Recipe time includes soaking time
** No pumpkin pie spice? Use 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves instead.