In the dark of winter, sometimes we lighten up dinnertime by enjoying an indoor “picnic.” We spread a couple of big blankets in the middle of the living room, attempt to keep the dogs away, and dream of spring when we can start doing the same thing outdoors again. It’s a fun change from eating at the table, and it’s an excuse for me to make sandwiches for dinner – or something else equally easy. Basically, a win all around.
Last week, the sandwich of choice was – you guessed it – gyros! These Hummus, Avocado, & Roasted Red Pepper Gyros, being vegan, are pretty far from your typical meat-filled variety, but they’re utterly delicious nonetheless. Inspired by a vegan gyro at a nearby Greek restaurant, I’ve stuffed these pitas with garlicky hummus, creamy avocado, and smoky roasted red peppers. Cucumbers and lettuce lend a bit of green crunch.
Basically, you stuff your pitas, fold ’em up taco-style, and go to town. But don’t actually go to town. Stay home, have a picnic, and eat your gyro.
Vegan Hummus, Avocado, & Roasted Red Pepper Gyros
- 4 pita breads (I use whole wheat)
- 1 cup hummus (prepared or homemade)
- 1 8- ounce jar roasted red peppers (or about 1 cup homemade)
- 1 avocado (pitted and sliced)
- 1/2 medium cucumber (peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 small red onion (sliced)
- 1 cup romaine or leaf lettuce (shredded)
- Salt & pepper
- Set a saute pan or indoor grill pan over medium-high heat. Warm pitas on each side until golden and heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Lay all four pitas flat. Spread 1/4 cup hummus in the middle of each pita. Top with roasted red peppers, avocado, cucumber, onion, and lettuce. Top with a dash of salt and pepper, if desired. Fold in half and serve.
And you don’t have to put on real pants to eat them! Here’s to inside-picnics, pjs as dinner wear, and delicious vegan gyros 🙂
Those look so good, I wouldn’t even miss the meat!
Healthy Mediterranean food is my favorite…my dessert island cuisine…and your photos are soo fantastic!
Thank you so much, Sue, especially for the photo comments. I had SUCH a hard time with these! Sandwiches man!