Hello there! Welcome to the second post in my new series, “Recipes That Are So Easy They’re Hardly Even Recipes and Oh Hey Also They All Happen to Contain Avocado.” How’s that for a mouthful?
Speaking of mouthfuls! (How do you like my segue? Don’t answer that). Anyway, speaking of mouthfuls! A mouthful of this Black Bean, Mushroom, and Avocado Breakfast Scramble is the way to start a day off right. This is what I’ve decided.
Over time, I’ve come to realize that I feel so much better – and stay full way longer – if I start the day off with a healthy, protein-packed breakfast. And that was totally the case last week when I whipped up this delicious – and filling – breakfast scramble. I was still full five hours later!
It’s so easy. I use a few canned black beans, already-sliced mushrooms, and a couple of eggs. A little onion and a smidge of garlic for flavor. The avocado – and a few pinches of cilantro, if you wish – top off this pile o’ goodness.
Breakfast is served.
By the way – no no no, I haven’t gone off the deep end. In case it wasn’t clear, this actually isn’t really a new series. At least, not an intentional one. It’s just that I posted this recipe right on the heels of this avocado toast, and it seems as though I’m developing a bit of a trend. Hey, I said I wanted to keep it simple this year! Honestly, the thing is, I know that personally I find a ton of value in quick, unfussy recipes and ideas far more than I do in upside-down marshmallow s’moretastic frou frou cupcake pies (which, yes, admittedly I also like to dabble in on the rare occasion). But anyway, I’m thinking maybe you might like the easy ideas, too.
You know, especially if it has avocados in it . Because hello, avocados.
Black Bean, Mushroom, & Avocado Breakfast Scramble
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup 4 ounces sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 small clove garlic (finely minced)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canned black beans (rinsed (or otherwise cooked black beans))
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- A couple turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 small avocado (diced)
- A few cilantro leaves (if desired)
- Add olive oil to a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and saute, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook for another minute, stirring occasionally.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl and beat with a whisk or fork. Pour over veggies. Add the black beans, salt, and pepper.
- Stir constantly until eggs are cooked through, about 1 minute. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Scoop onto a plate and top with diced avocado and and scattered cilantro leaves.