Just not today. Because today, we have Dairy-Free Coconut Milk French Toast.
If you’ve ever wondered how to make French toast without milk, you’ve come to the right place! Well – without dairy milk. This easy dairy-free french toast recipe is super simple – it’s essentially classic French toast with rich and creamy canned coconut milk swapped in for the dairy milk. I like to top mine with toasted coconut flakes for some extra coconutty goodness.
No reason us dairy-free folks should have to skip the French toast! My dairy-partaking guy and toddler love this stuff as much as I do, and just as much as classic French toast – we’ve found that you really don’t taste much of a difference between canned coconut milk and cow’s milk in this particular recipe. You can use lite canned coconut milk or full-fat – both work. Lite is delicious; full-fat takes it over the top in a good, rich, almost custardy way.
Coconut Milk French Toast
- 10-12 slices of stale (hearty, rustic bread, cut about 3/4-inch thick*)
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup canned lite coconut milk or full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup (can substitute granulated sugar)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vegan butter
- Toasted coconut
- Sliced bananas
- Pure maple syrup
- Heat a large non-stick griddle to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or set a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. If necessary, melt a little coconut oil on the griddle or in the pan to help prevent sticking.
- Add the eggs to a large bowl and beat well with a whisk. Add the coconut milk, syrup, vanilla, and salt. Mix well.
- One by one, dip the bread into the egg and coconut milk mixture, using a fork to help dunk the bread and move it around. Immerse for about 1 second on each side then transfer immediately to the preheated cooking surface.
- Cook on the first side until golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown, another 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter. You can cover the cooked French toast with a clean dishtowel to help keep it warm.
- Serve with assorted toppings.