Well, 2015 is moving right along, isn’t it? Somehow we’ve already passed Valentine’s Day and we’re heading straight for St. Patty’s. Bring on the “St. Patty’s” vs. “St. Paddy’s” arguments (I still have no idea which is correct), the green beer (and the anti- crowd), and all the green foods!
If there’s any time of year to drink green smoothies, this is it. And if you’ve yet to dip your toe into green smoothie land (please know I only mean this metaphorically, dipping your toe into a smoothie is weird), then this is not only the time and the place, but it’s also the recipe.
This smoothie tastes like straight-up toasted coconut. Which is a good thing, because it’s called a Toasted Coconut Green Smoothie. So we’ve got our bases covered there.
This super simple smoothie has a creamy coconut milk base (I like the lite canned stuff for way less calories and fat but all of the flavor) along with a banana for heft, vitamins, sweetness, and more creaminess.
Then we’ve got, of course, toasted coconut, both blended into the smoothie and a little more on the top if you like. Why not? A little vanilla and, of course, a generous handful of spinach for the green that you can only see, but not taste.
I also like to add a handful of flaxseeds or chia seeds for some omega action, but that’s totally optional.
Yup, this smoothie totally (sham)rocks.
Sorry. I had to.
Toasted Coconut Green Smoothie
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup light canned coconut milk
- 1 heaping cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons toasted sweetened flaked coconut + 1 more tablespoon for topping if desired*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds or chia seeds (optional)
- 3-4 large ice cubes (about 1/2 cup ice)
- Add banana, 1/2 cup coconut milk, spinach, 2 tablespoons toasted coconut, vanilla, flax or chia seeds if using, and ice to the pitcher of a blender. Blend until smooth, adding additional coconut milk and blending again if the smoothie is too thick. Pour into a glass and top with remaining 1 tablespoon toasted coconut. Plop in a straw and serve!