I originally posted this recipe on my first blog a couple of years ago. Come wintertime, it’s a regular in our rotation. The fact that it’s a hugely frugal dinner is a bonus; we just love how delicious it is – not to mention how easy it is to make. Simply cook up some bacon for the meat-eaters to crumble over the top and the whole family will clamor for more – vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
October 23, 2009
Initially I was going to round up the amount and call this 50 Cent Potato Soup, but then I remembered the rapper (aka: “Fiddy”) and wasn’t sure how a frugal soup recipe could successfully have anything to do with a guy whose big album was “Get Rich or Die Tryin’.”
And so, introducing: 45 Cent Potato Soup!
It’s super easy to whip up a pot of this hearty and flavorful soup, and it’s one of my go-to weeknight meals for that reason. It’s great comfort food for a blustery cold day, perfect with a big hunk of crusty bread. And did I mention that, by my estimation, it costs only about 45 cents per serving?
- 4-5 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 or 2 slices of bacon for each bowl of soup you’d like to top with it, cooked, drained, cooled, and crumbled
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the potatoes, onion, celery, and carrots. Add water to about ½ inch below the top of the vegetables.
- Heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft.
- Using a potato masher, carefully mash most of the soup, leaving a few chunks for texture.
- Stir in the milk and the parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. The soup will take a lot of salt – I usually start with a teaspoon of kosher salt, taste, and end up adding quite a bit more.
- Over low heat, return the soup to a simmer. Serve topped with additional parsley, butter, bacon bits, grated cheese, or any other topping you dream up.
Comfort food on the cheap. Rap about that, Fiddy!