So, I realize I’m several years late to the party here, but I’ve finally discovered yoga.
It’s, like, a trip to the spa for a massage. Except you do it yourself, it’s cheaper, and you feel even better afterwards. I’m taking very beginner level classes – no impossible pose attempts in front of depressing mirrors and no hot-yoga blackout episodes, not that I’d know anything about either of those things – and I’m practically giddy over how much I’m enjoying it. “Grace” and “flexible” are about the last two words one would ever use to describe me, but if I keep this up, maybe I’ll get a little closer. So far, it certainly makes me feel great.
A blog story about a nice, healthy green smoothie seemed to be the perfect chance to share my yoga discovery. After all, when I come home all loosey-goosey relaxed after yoga class, this mango-coconut green smoothie is pretty much the perfect way to recharge.
Smoothies are the best thing ever, aren’t they? They feel like a treat – it’s like drinking a fruity milkshake! – but generally they’re packed with energizing nutrients and guilt-free goodness.
This one in particular is unbelievably good – not to mention pretty (have I ever mentioned green is my favorite color? What can I say; it pleases me every time I go in for a sip.)
- 1 cup fresh washed spinach leaves, packed (I generally use packaged, pre-washed baby spinach)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mango cubes
- ½ medium banana
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter (this adds a bit more more coconut flavor plus fiber and a little protein)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds (these add some more fiber plus omega-3 fatty acids and a little protein)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve with a straw.